Re: [As-users] lock up

John Gruenenfelder (johng@as.arizona.edu)
Sun, 22 Jan 2006 20:31:35 -0700

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 09:25:15PM -0600, pfrostie wrote:
>i'm running on a debian Etch system.
>the past week or so my system has been randomly locking up.
>it started out everyother day
>then it was once a day
>then it was every few hours
>
>when it reached the point of being every few hours i started running top to
>see what application was running away.
>
>turn out it was afterstep.
>i switched to what ever is the default for gnome and it hasn't locked since.
>but i really hate it and want my afterstep back.
>
>am i the only one who's seen this?

I've seen something like this lately too.  For me, though, it doesn't happen
once Afterstep has started.  Instead, perhaps 1/3 of the time, when I start
Afterstep, it won't actually start all the way.  I'm also on Debian etch, but
I just tried getting a copy of CVS and it did it with the compiled version
too.

I'll get the loading screen, and maybe one or two terminals will open.  Wharf
might start, but the apps that go in it won't.  At this point, AS is dead.  I
can't focus on any window even though I still have a mouse cursor.  If I go to
the console and run top, I can see that AS is taking 100% of the CPU.  At this
point, I just have to kill X and try logging in again.  It usually always
works the second time.  It seems like there is some sort of race condition
when Afterstep first starts.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.