RE: Afterstep not working with Gnome

Kurt Fitzner (kf_bulk@nexus.v-wave.com)
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 14:15:08 -0600 (MDT)

On 26-Apr-00 Coplan wrote:

> Essentially, When I run Gnome (from my ~/.xinitrc: exec gnome-session),
> and X starts, the window manager doesn't start.

Some distributions have afterstep set up incorrectly as session-managed un
der Gnome when it is not.  When the window manager for Gnome is listed as
session managed, it means that Gnome lets its session manger start the window
manager, instead of starting it explicitely.  If you'll notice (ie: if you
run Afterstep explicitely after starting Gnome), Afterstep doesn't show up on
Gnome's session manager.

What you need to do is edit /usr/share/gnome/wm-properties/Afterstep.desktop
to read something like:

 [Desktop Entry]
 Name=AfterStep
 Exec=afterstep
 TryExec=afterstep

 [Window Manager]
 SessionManaged=false

Gnome's session manager isn't, as some would say, evil.  However, Afterstep
doesn't work well with it.