Re: Afterstep not working with Gnome

Sean Dague (sean@dague.net)
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 06:43:30 -0500 (EST)

> I really only want to use gfm (I think that's what it's called, the file
> manager with desktop icons) -- not the panels. In that situation, would
> I still need to run the gnome-session, or is there a safe productive way
> to run the file manager without the rest of gnome?  Otherwise, the only
> other thing I use Gnome for are the games, and they don't need the entire
> environment.

The program is gmc, and you can just add it to G/L/A/autoexec and it will
run at login.   I have it running as such on one my boxes, and it works
really well.  I have found that you probably want to modify the feels file
that you use so that not all mouse clicks on the desktop are captured by
afterstep so that you can also get the gnome menus if you do Alt Click or
something. Like:
#
# Mouse actions
#
Mouse 1         R       N       PopUp "0"
Mouse 2         R       N       WindowList 2
Mouse 3         R       N       WindowList

Then unmodified click goes to AS, and shift/cntl/alt goes to GNOME.

	-Sean

Sean Dague
78 North Ave.
Beacon, NY 12508
(914) 831-7748
sean@dague.net

There is no silver bullet.  Plus, werewolves make better neighbors than
zombies, and they tend to keep the vampire population down.