Re: No work on distributed HOME-directories

Frederick Bruckman (fb@enteract.com)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 03:09:29 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Gerd Heide wrote:

> thanks for the slippy answer. Afterstep work fine with socket under /tmp and
> a only user.
> If I quit the windowmanager, socket isn't deleted. Then it's impossible for
> another user, to log on with afterstep.

The socket should properly go in a subdirectory of /tmp which
incorporates the users name, or else have the sticky bit set; and
should probably also incorporate the word "afterstep", and possibly
the pid of afterstep. This is how ssh-agent does it:

2 drwx------    2 fredb    wheel          512 Jul 26 23:40 /tmp/ssh-fredb
0 srwx------    1 fredb    wheel            0 Jul 26 23:40 /tmp/ssh-fredb/ssh-16476-agent

There's no problem with several users running ssh-agent at once;
there's no problem with the same user running several ssh-agent1
tasks, since all the tasks in a session inherit the socket (including
afterstep!). IMHO, that's the way to go.