Re: No work on distributed HOME-directories

Ethan (allanon@crystaltokyo.com)
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 23:44:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Gerd Heide wrote:

> we have a problem with AfterStep, version 1.7.90, and HOME-directories.
>
> Now AfterStep creates sockets in HOME-directories. This is very bad!
> Often HOME-directories are realised on "distributed filesystems" using NFS
> or AFS, e.g.

Ouch.  The inherited pipes we used before were switched to UNIX domain
named sockets to allow modules to be run by a program other than AfterStep
(eg, a shell).  However, this would certainly cause problems under your
circumstances.

> What is the solution? Can we put the sockets to a local filesystem
> ( /tmp,...) ?

Using a local filesystem would probably be the best solution.  To change
the directory AfterStep uses for the socket, change the following line
in src/afterstep/module.c (should be around line 74):

sprintf(tmp, "%s/connect.%s", AFTER_NONCF, display_string);

Change AFTER_NONCONF to whatever you like, such as "/tmp":

sprintf(tmp, "%s/connect.%s", "/tmp", display_string);

That should do the trick.  The modules read an X property set by
AfterStep, so they shouldn't require any changes.

----
Ethan Fischer
allanon@crystaltokyo.com
http://members.xoom.com/allanon1