Re: WM buttons

David Mihm (davemann@ionet.net)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:17:34 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Eric GAUDET wrote:

>Le 15-Jul-99 David Mihm racontais :
>>  On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Eric GAUDET wrote:
>>
>> >hi,
>> >I'm trying to understand the window managers secrets (afterstep first, of
>> >course) : how does an application tells the wm it wants only some buttons in
>> >the title bar.
>> >Let me explain : I want to open a window with a title bar, and only the
>> >"close"
>> >button. I can't find anything about that in the xlib, and it seems to be a
>> >window-manager specific behaviour. All I can do now is to create a window
>> >with
>> >all the (2+3, for me) buttons asked for in the feel ; but I saw some windows
>> >with only one or 2 buttons on the title bar.
>> >Can somebody help me with that ?
>>
>>       I pressume you are wanting an operational answer, and not wanting
>>  to point out in the actual code how it is handled.  The database file
>>  controls the looks of the windows and you must have the development branch
>>  for this to be possible.  It is covered at length in the man afterstep
>>  page; but it has to do with defining a Style with the window name and then
>>  using one or more entries for the buttons you don't wnat to appear,
>>  limited only to those that are predefined in your look file.  The entry is
>>  NoButtons #.  The method used to obtain the window name is also described
>>  in the man afterstep page.
>>

>That's the _default_ window's look. Can an application override the database
>file by open a window with only some or no button on it ?

	Yes, this is what Morif hints and Gnome hints do.  If you notice
that when you have Motif hints allowed in the feel file, and opent eh
Preferences box of Netscape (a Motif app), the minimize button is not on
the title bar.
	If you are wanting to know how to write an app to do this, I would
pressume that since AfterStep only supports Motif and Gnome hints, then
you'll have to do it in Motif or Gnome, and I would also pressume that it
would be thusly documented in either of those code "manuals".

HTH