Re: GNOME/AS

Frederick Bruckman (fb@enteract.com)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 00:51:29 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, James wrote:

> and... I know it's an X thing, and there's a --geometry switch to most things,
> but couldn't AS keep a database of all your windows and their last screen
> location, then i could run Glade (the ever-so-nice GTK interface builder) and
> position all it's windows in sensible positions.

It does, in ~/G/L/A/.workspace_state. I think it only works if that
file exists already. Not sure.

It's not perfect, in that if you run something like

	xterm -T something -e /bin/sh -c blah blah

and then resize or move the window, afterstep creates a line in
.workspace_state with the "-geometry something" argument in the wrong
place. ("-e something" must be the last argument to xterm.)

What I've been doing is hand tuning the script and locking it down.
Perhaps it would be better if the geometry always came right after the
command? Would that break some other commands?