Re: GNOME and AS interaction

Ethan (allanon@crystaltokyo.com)
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 17:53:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999 ebi@ozob.net wrote:

> I have buttons on titlebars which maximize windows veritcally and
> vertically/horizontally. Before I started using GNOME the maximize buttons
> would utilize the whole screen.  After I started using GNOME the maximize
> buttons place the top of a window at the bottom of the GNOME panel.
>
> I can hide the panel and click a maximize button and and the window will
> maximize to the top of the screen. Then when I unhide the panel it comes
> out on top and stays on top regardless of what I do.

I don't use GNOME, but I'll take a guess at the reason for this: the
GNOME panel requests that it be placed on top (like the StaysOnTop
function in database), and that it not be covered by other windows (like
the AvoidCover function).  There is no way that I know of to prevent
these requests from being carried out, except to not run the Gnome
module, which would result in the GNOME panel refusing to run.

> I would like for the maximize buttons to utilize full screen all the time
> and would like to be able to put on top or background the GNOME panel as
> focus changes. i.e. if a window has the focus I would like it to be on
> top of the GNOME panel.

Bind ToggleLayer to a mouse/keypress action in your feel file, and use
that to move the focus window above/below the GNOME panel.

HTH

----
Ethan Fischer
allanon@crystaltokyo.com