Re: Logging out

Stasinos Konstantopoulos (konstant@let.rug.nl)
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 16:42:58 +0200

Michael Stenner zei Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 10:22:33AM -0400 dat:

> On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 03:55:27PM +0200, Stasinos Konstantopoulos wrote:
> > I'm running AfterStep 1.6.10 on an HP and I have the following
> > problem: when I try to log out all that happens is that the windows
> > manager is stopped, but not the session. I have to leave an xterm open
> > and from there manually kill the dtsession process. I've tried to
> > figure out exactly what gets executed from the Quit form, but it's
> > some `Quit' command that I cannot find declared anywhere. Thanks in
> > advance,
>
> I'm not too familiar with hp stuff, but....  what does your .xinitrc
> look like?  As far as I know, when you log in, your .xinitrc is execed
> by your login process.  So in your .xinitrc, you need to make sure
> that "exec afterstep" is the last command.  That way, when afterstep
> ends, .xinitrc ends, and your session ends.

> process.
>
> 					-Michael
>
> If this isn't it, please post your .xinitrc or other relevant configs.

there isn't any .xinitrc.

dtlogin execs the /usr/dt/bin/Xsession script which starts the login
shell and then looks for the first in ( $DT_BINPATH/dtsession
$HOME/.xsession $HOME/.x11start $XDIR/xterm ) and execs it. Since
there is a $DT_BINPATH/dtsession I cannot have a local .xsession or
.x11start - it will never get executed.

/usr/dt/bin/dtsession in its turnstarts the window manager specified
in the resource Dtsession*wmStartupCommand. If NULL, /usr/dt/bin/dtwm
is spawned. What I did to get afterstep instead of the default dtwm
was to add:
Dtsession*wmStartupCommand /path/to/afterstep in my local
.Xdefaults

stasinos